Top Foods For High Blood Pressure
Top Foods To Lower High Blood Pressure
There are a number of foods that you should try to eat on a daily basis, as these foods will play a large part in keeping you healthy. However, if you are suffering from hypertension and high blood pressure like so many Westerners are, you will find that these foods will begin to play an even more prominent role in keeping you healthy and keeping you alive. These foods to help lower your blood pressure will be important, as you need to do everything you can to keep your blood pressure low in order to avoid heart attacks and heart disease.
Here are the top foods to help lower your high blood pressure:
- Spinach is one of the best foods that you can find to lower your blood pressure, as it contains high amounts of magnesium that protects your heart from disorders and will reduce the risk of hypertension. Folate is also found in spinach, and this nutrient can render the chemical homocysteine harmless. Homocysteine is a chemical that has been linked to stroke and heart attack, so preventing this chemical from harming your body is an good reason to eat your spinach.
- Sunflower seeds provide your body with the magnesium that it needs on a daily basis. Phytosterols are also contained in the sunflower seeds, and this nutrient can help to reduce the levels of cholesterol in your body. High blood pressure is often caused by elevated cholesterol levels, as high cholesterol can cause clogs and blockages in your arteries that will force your heart to work harder to pump blood. Unsalted sunflower seeds contain no sodium and are the best to eat to lower your high blood pressure.
- Legumes are known to contain high amounts of magnesium, particularly pinto beans, white beans, black beans, kidney beans, and lima beans. Potassium is also contained in high quantities in the beans, and you will find that potassium plays a large role in lowering your blood pressure.
- Bananas are incredibly rich in potassium, and this mineral is one of the many minerals needed by the body to lower high blood pressure. The fruit is also incredibly rich in fiber, and fiber is another nutrient that contributes to effective circulation, weight loss, and overall health. In fact, the more fiber you have in your diet, the more likely you will be to avoid high blood pressure altogether. Many studies have led nutritionists to believe that even eating a single banana every day can help keep blood pressure at normal levels.
- Soyis one of the best foods that anyone suffering from high blood pressure can eat, as soy helps to lower cholesterol that could be the cause of the high blood pressure. Soy helps to regulate blood pressure, as the isoflavones in soy are essential for keeping your blood pressure from getting too high. You will find that unsalted soy products can be an excellent addition to your diet, such as tofu, soy protein, and soy milk.
- Potatoes are usually prepared in ways that will cause your blood pressure to become elevated, which is why most people consider potatoes to be a food to avoid in order to keep your blood pressure low. However, potatoes are not only rich in potassium, but they are an excellent source of fiber that will play a large role in keeping your blood pressure at regular levels. Potatoes are also rich in a host of minerals, and will be an excellent food to eat to replace other starches.
- Chocolate is a food that most of the world loves, and you will find that eating dark chocolate is a great way to reduce your blood pressure. Most people are thrilled to hear that chocolate will help lower high blood pressure, but it is only the very dark chocolate that will have the beneficial effect. This is because dark chocolate stimulates the production of nitric oxide, which is responsible for relaxing the muscles around the blood vessels and improving blood flow. Dark chocolate can actually lower the levels of harmful cholesterol in your body, thus reducing the risk of obesity and high blood pressure both.
- Avocados are rich in fats and minerals, but all of the nutrients in avocados are incredibly beneficial for your health. You will find that the oleic acid avocados are so rich in will help keep your cholesterol levels low, and folate and potassium both are contained in the avocados in high quantities. You can find a number of different types of avocados, all of which will help you to lower your blood pressure.
- Fish is especially important for keeping your high blood pressure down, as fish is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that protect the heart from disorders. Canned fish is good enough for your heart, and canned tuna and sardines alike will help you to regulate your blood pressure. Fresh fish is best, and you will find that salmon, cod, tuna, and halibut are all excellent at helping you keep your high blood pressure down.
- Skim milk and all forms of low fat dairy products are better for your heart than full fat, but skim milk in particular can help you to lower your high blood pressure. Calcium and protein are both contained in high quantities in skin milk, but the Vitamin D in the skim milk is the most important nutrient that will work along with the calcium to keep your blood pressure low. Even for those who are not trying to control hypertension, drinking skim milk will ensure that the body gets all of the nutrients it needs from dairy products without the risk of high blood pressure.